Friday, December 5, 2014

Vancouver, Canada

It’s been a while since I posted a travel update and my computer, in part, is to blame after bombing out for a couple of months. I take the rest of the blame for the neglect as I enjoyed ‘living’ in Vancouver, catching up with my brother and other good friends. But more of that later.

It seems so long ago that I was welcomed by the esteemed Jonny Cash to one of the most desirable cities to live in in the world, Vancouver. As far as cool/hip/hipster people go, Cash is among the top and his top-notch girlfriend Evelyn completes the package. They welcomed me to their home and were brilliant hosts for what turned out to be a month of living in their lounge on their very comfortable sleeper-couch. I spent a large portion of my time in Nelson the Seagull enjoying the amazing bread and coffee (all other bread has been ruined for me now). Tea is still a big part of my life but I finally understand all the hype around a good cup of coffee. I’m not much of a foodie, but we did sample some amazing coffee shops, delis, restaurants, bars etc. some on more than one occasion.

Due to the time of year it rained a fair amount while I was there, but we still did our best to make the most of it and experience the city and the surrounding area. Leisurely mornings hanging out in coffee shops, watching the Canucks do battle on the ice, the various Thanksgiving celebrations, the much celebrated Halloween and a short visit to Summerland are some of the memories I won’t forget.

The Canadians are indeed as friendly as their preceding reputation indicates and it’s definitely not the last I’ve seen of the exceptionally enticing city. 

Drinking Beer at Six Acres before ordering an amazing meal of food
Nelson the Seagull after hours
Canucks lost this one, but still managed to capture a new avid supporter in me
Fall really is this spectacular
Hiking in Lynn Valley
Prematch before Halloween partying
The barfing peppers - a reasonable effort by the RSA contingent
Vancouver Rowing Club
Vancouver enjoying a sunny day
Thanks Ev and Cash for a great time

No comments:

Post a Comment