Saturday, March 8, 2014

Initial musings and tribluations

The idea to take a year to travel some of the amazing countries this globe has to offer began to materialise halfway through last year. Inspiration came in many forms and together they left me with little choice but to pursue what became the obvious and, in time, only option. In no particular order, they were:

1. A general love of travel, sparked by some limited experience
2. My three brothers and their stories of far away lands, cultures and constant encouragement
3. The desire to work a ski season
4. Friends’ constant reminder via Facebook and other social media of their own incredible travel experiences
5. The look of envy on people’s faces when I began to talk of my plan

I’m not ashamed to admit that the idea of travel, particularly to countries where English is not a first language, or at least not spoken easily, is intimidating. I am also not a fan of administration, so the idea of Visas and renewing passports was a hurdle that would need to be overcome. The ‘good life’ (thanks Mom and Dad) I was living and developed after the vast majority of my life spent in Joburg was comfortable, and as it turned out, I was far more entrenched than I thought. Things like cell phone contracts and medical aid are restrictive and not as catered to individuals’ needs and desires as the service providers would like you to think. Nonetheless, it became obvious that these excuses were not going to hold up against the mounting evidence promoting such a venture: adventure; trekking foreign lands; taste sensations; new friends; beaches; mountains; and my general travel ignorance.

I took a look at my options and jotted down a few thoughts and after ten minutes or so, had a plan that was pretty much what I have settled on:


While this is really just my flight plan, I hope to fill in the details as I go.

I hope this blog will be the first of many depictions of good times and places; it’s a little late on the chronology side, but now that I am free of the saga and panic that was packing up my life in Joburg, I can play a bit of catch up. 

1 comment:

  1. Great plan - hope to be part of the journey through your periodic blogs!

    ReplyDelete